Posts Tagged ‘Stila’
During Sephora‘s recent VIB sale, I decided to go for the Stila Eyes Are the Window Soul Palette, which I have been eyeing for a while. I have been looking for a versatile, neutral eye shadow palette made up of shades I would actually use. I wanted a palette that I would get a lot of wear out of both for day and night, and with a mixture of not-too-warm matte and shimmer shades. The Stila Eyes Are the Window Soul Palette is beautiful and definitely meets those requirements, and I can’t wait to create some different looks for it. I know I will get a ton of use out of this palette.
The rose gold and gold packaging is so pretty, and super sleek but sturdy feeling. The palette and twelve shadows are a good size, and I really like how the shadows themselves are spaced out. I hate when palettes have a ton of wasted empty space. It doesn’t come with a brush or any kind of applicator, but since the palette is so compact that is OK with me. The whole palette is a little smaller than my hand. The palette does include a really nice large mirror.
The shadows are so pretty and perfect for creating a variety of neutral looks. I do wish the darker colours were a little more pigmented so they could be used to create a darker, smokier eye, but overall the shadow pigmentation is good and I like the shade range. I haven’t tried wetting the shadows yet, which would probably help with that. The shadows are also really smooth. The only colour I don’t see myself using a lot would be Light, as it just doesn’t really show up on my skin tone. I especially love the shimmer colours, including Stila cult fave Kitten which I didn’t own before. There are four versions of the Eyes Are the Window Palettes, and from reading reviews on Sephora, it seems some of the other versions are not as good as the Soul version.
(L-R: Light, Individual, Being, Kitten, Affection, Character)
(L-R: Thought, Heart, Peace, Vitality, Substance, Essence)
Inspired by my friend Lisa, here are my 13 favourite/best/most used things of 2013, in no particular order!
1) Real Techniques brushes: I never really used makeup brushes, besides for applying blush and bronzer, before 2013. This year I discovered what a massive difference using good brushes makes in makeup application, especially in applying foundation and eye shadow (yes, I used to use my fingers to apply powder eye shadow). Real Technique brushes are both great quality and value.
2) Maybelline Colour Tattoo 24 Hour Eye Shadow in Bad to the Bronze: I mentioned back in October how much I love this eye shadow, and I’m still wearing it pretty much every day. It’s the perfect bronze-y brown colour, and really does last all day. I wish there were more shades available that I would actually wear, instead of teal and bright purple.
3) Josie Maran Pure Argan Oil: I love using this super moisturizing face oil at night, especially after using a face mask, and went through a few bottles this year. It is definitely expensive, but it feels so nice to use and definitely moisturizes and plumps my skin. This is the only face oil I’ve tried so far, but I do have some samples of other oils I need to try!
4) Klorane Shampoo with Chamomile: I never purposely re-purchased or sought out a shampoo until this one- I love it! I have to try really hard not to use it every time I wash my hair.
5) Revlon Colour Burst Lip Butters: I have these in about 4 or 5 shades, and they are the lipsticks I reach for the most in the morning when getting ready for work. They are easy to apply, moisturizing, and the colour is buildable. Only downside is they are not very long lasting. I definitely recommend these as a drugstore option for lipsticks!
6) Stila Convertible Colour: I don’t own any of these blushes in the individual packaging, but this year I fell in love with both the warm trio (which I received as a birthday present) and the cool trio (which I managed to purchase for only $10!). They are great for a more dewy looking makeup look. Read my full review of the warm trio here.
7) Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray: This combo dry shampoo/hair spray is ridiculously expensive (though the price is lessened dramatically with Birchbox promos and points), but just makes your hair look so fantastic. It adds volume, gets rid of oil, smells amazing, and roughens your hair up just enough to make it look inexplicably cool. Love.
8) Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour: These blushes are amazing. They are very pigmented, come in a ton of shades, and the colour lasts for hours. These are the only blushes I’ve found that give me more than 3 hours of wear. The shade Exposed is the most perfect nude-pink shade you will ever see, and is my go-to blush for pretty much any occasion.
9) Benefit High Beam: I used this sheeny pink-champagne liquid highlighter on my cheekbones (ha) pretty much anytime I went out in 2013. It is the perfect cool-toned highlighter for night, is easy to apply, and is just so pretty. It is a little too shimmery for day time use though.
10) Maybelline Baby Lips in Cherry Me: This is the perfect no-mirror tinted lip balm. I used it almost every day in 2013, and even managed to use up two whole tubes!
11) Candles: Kind of random but this year I got really into burning candles. There’s just something so relaxing and cozy about having a candle burning away next to you! I bought a ton of really pretty Illume candles for more than 50% off at the store I work at, including this Starlight Tin candle in Island Coconut. They don’t have the greatest throw but they are pretty and smell good.
12) Juice Beauty Blemish Clearing Mask: This mask was definitely my favourite and most used of 2013. It contains hydroxy-fruit acids to even skin tone, clay for pore cleansing, and bamboo to soothe skin. It really helps balance my oily skin and make it feel clean, though it is a little drying.
13) Marc Jacobs Daisy: I love this fresh smelling, floral perfume, and the adorable packaging. Plus, it’s named after me- what’s not to love?
Like I mentioned before in my August “Currently Loving” post, I’m obsessed with my new Stila Convertible Colour Trio in Warm, and have been using it every day since it was gifted to me for my birthday by my friend Alina. I’m going to ignore they claim you can also use it on your lips because it sucks that way, and I love it so much as a blush.
It contains two regular shades, Gerbera, which is a very pretty, light melon pink and Camellia, a pinky brown nude. The third shade, Honeysuckle, is a limited edition, and is a sheer peachy pink.
L-R Gerbera, Camellia, Honeysuckle
Gerbera is one of the most popular Stila Convertible Colours and I can definitely see why. It is very pigmented and has a thicker texture than the other two shades, and gives your cheeks such a pretty pink glowy flush. I find it a little easy to go overboard with this shade, but it does blend out easily. Honeysuckle is just as pretty but definitely sheerer, which makes it easier to apply, but I find it has less staying power than Gerbera. It also has some gold shimmer.
L-R Gerbera, Camellia, Honeysuckle
Camellia looks terrifying in the pan, but is surprisingly pretty on, since it applies sheer and more pink toned than it looks. I think it would look better on someone with even just a slightly darker skin tone than me though (I am super pale), and I definitely reach for Gerbera and Honeysuckle over it most of the time. I also really like it mixed a little with Gerbera or Honeysuckle.
All three shades are very creamy, apply smoothly, and can be built up easily. I’ve been applying and blending them with either my fingers or my Real Techniques Buffing Brush, and both methods work well. They have a dewy sheen to them, which I love for a natural summery look. I find the wear time on them is not as long as other reviews generally report, only around 2-3 hours, but (again) I do have very oily skin.
The only problem is, now I want the cool version too…
My birchbox this month was decent, but I wasn’t super excited about anything. The most exciting thing was definitely the lipstick, though I’m not sure I can pull it off…
Birchbox August 2013 Contents and Review
Derma E Hydrating Mist with Hyaluronic Acid: This moisturizing spray contains hyaluronic acid, which I’ve heard is a great moisturizer, as well as green tea and Vitamin C. To be honest, I haven’t tried this too many times. I used it as a moisturizer a couple of nights and found it to be very tacky and hard to apply. The bottle says it can also be used as a makeup setting or refreshing spray, but I found the spray to be way too forceful for either of those uses. I’m not really sure why Birchbox sent this to me, as it’s for “dry and dehydrated skin” and I have “oily” selected in my profile.
EVOLVh Ultrashine Moisture Conditioner: This conditioner is vegan, paraben-free, and includes 20 herbs to naturally moisturize any hair type. I found it too lightweight for my thick, dry hair, and also that it just made my hair dry in a strange way? It made the front part of my hair wave in weird ways. I usually shower at night and let my hair dry overnight, so the chances of it drying strangely are pretty high, but the fact that it happened both times I used this conditioner is suspicious. I also used the 2 fl oz sample bottle up in two uses, which would only work out to about 8 uses for the $25 full size, which is crazy.
Whish Exfoliating Body Scrub: This scrub contains lemon, apple, and green tea extracts to brighten skin, sugar cane and bamboo powder to exfoliate, and coconut oil and shea to hydrate. This scrub was fine? The exfoliating particles were very small and gentle, and it didn’t leave a film. It said the scent was “coconut milk” on the bottle, but didn’t smell very coconut-y at all, which was disappointing.
Whish Deodorant Swipe: This deodorant wipe supposedly acts as both a deodorant for on-the-go as well as a hair growth inhibitor. I found it very sticky once applied, and pretty much just a gimmick, especially at $22 for 30 wipes. Maybe people who go to the gym then straight to work or other places would appreciate it more.
Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick: This was the one redeeming item in my birchbox this month. This lipstick applies like a thick lipgloss, then dries down to a matte lipstick that I found really does last for hours, unless you get it wet from eating or drinking. I found it pretty drying, and have to make sure my lips are fully moisturized before using. It is also a little tricky to apply, as it really does not budge. The colour I received, “beso”, is an intense red that I think is just a little too warm and dark for me to wear. Maybe I just need to be braver?
If you want to try Birchbox for yourself, sign up here!
Here are some random things that I’m currently loving this month!
I somehow managed to never watch this show before, despite it being everything I would ever want in a television show (and more!). I binge watched the first two seasons, though now I’ve reached the third season I’m slowing down a little. It’s smarter than I thought it was going to be, and constantly makes fun of itself, which I love. Next up: The Walking Dead? Game of Thrones?
Stila Convertible Color Dual Lip and Cheek Cream Trio
One of my best friends, Alina, gave me this for my birthday a couple of weeks ago, and I have been using it everyday since (thanks Alina!). I am definitely going through a cream blush phase at the moment. Review to come!
40 Days of Dating
I discovered this project a few weeks ago and have been obsessed ever since. It’s a day by day blog of two friends who decide to try out dating for 40 days, giving you each of their perspectives about what’s happening. It’s very addictive (though I don’t think they make a very good couple at all) and the website is visually interesting (they’re both designers). It looks like they’re stopping on day 36 until September 3rd, which is kind of annoying but will give you a chance to catch up if you haven’t started reading yet!
Ecote Easy Knit Maxi Skirt
I love love love this maxi skirt from Urban Outfitters. It’s the first maxi skirt I’ve owned, and I definitely want to get more now. It’s like wearing a blanket as an outfit! I’m only 5’4 and it’s the perfect length for me. I went to Boston a few weeks ago to visit some friends, and it was great for wearing on the plane on the way there, and I didn’t even have to change to go out that night! So easy! I want to get it in black too.