No matter where I’m going or how big or small the bag I’m carrying is, I always find room to cram in the following three beauty essentials.
Bag: Rebecca Minkoff, phone case: Rifle Piper Co., card holder: Kate Spade (review here)
I’ve recently been using Tarte Maracuja Creaseless Concealer in Light again. While not the most covering, it’s very creamy and light, and can therefore also be used more like a foundation if necessary, without things getting too heavy. I like this concealer a lot, but I don’t think it really lives up to its “creaseless” name. The tube I have is a mini version from a set, which makes it great for lugging around!
My skin gets super shiny throughout the day, and MAC Blot Powder/Pressed is great at mattifying while adding a little more coverage, without making your face cakey. It includes a convenient round puff applicator for on-the-go application, so there’s no need for carrying around an extra brush (though towards the end of using up a compact the applicator gets pretty destroyed and isn’t as easy to use). The compact mirror is also very handy for other makeup touch ups!
Tinted Lip Balm
I’m constantly applying and re-applying lip balm throughout the day, so I usually have at least 2-3 tinted and untinted versions with me. If my bag is extra small though, I always go with tinted so I can easily add some moisture and colour to my lips. I also love that tinted lip balm can double up as a blush in emergencies! My current favourite tinted lip balm is Vaseline Lip Therapy in Rosy Lips.
The second part of my birthday Tarte haul (read Part One here) was two Tarte Glamazon Pure Performance 12 Hour Lipsticks. These came out a couple of years ago, but it looks like Tarte has discontinued them as they were on sale for $11 (over 60% off!), and aren’t on their website anymore. There are still a few colours available some places, including Sephora for $16 (hurry!) and Macy’s, but I will try and keep the gushing to a minimum. Seriously, these may just be the best lipsticks I have ever tried, and I would highly recommend picking
all of them one up before they are no longer available!
Like the amazonian clay blushes and full coverage foundation, which I also adore, the Tarte Glamazon Pure Performance 12 Hour Lipsticks are infused with clay to make them longer lasting. They are super pigmented, opaque, and bright – the swatches below are one swipe – and the colour lasts for HOURS. Like 6-8 hours looking exactly like it did when you first applied it, and another few hours as a stain. I was actually shocked at how long they lasted. The formula is so creamy, and applies with a slightly glossy finish. They are no where near as drying as other long lasting lipsticks.
I got the shade Foxy (left), a bright fuchsia pink, and Timeless (right), a coral-red Aqualillies for Tarte limited edition colour that was released in 2013. Timeless is definitely out of my comfort zone when it comes to lipsticks as it is more warm toned, but I’ve been liking it a lot! The only negative is that the tubes, while pretty, are a lot longer than regular lipsticks and take up a lot of space in my bag…also that apparently they are discontinued now.
So why are you still reading this and not placing your order??
So, I love Tarte. Especially when their whole website is 30% off for
my birthday their Friends and Family Sale, and my fiancé is in desperate need of present ideas. I kind of hate the word “haul” when applied to birthday gifts, but since I picked these out myself I’m going for it!
Tarte Amazonian Clay 12 Hour Blush in Blissful
I adore Tarte’s Amazonian Clay blushes and already own multiple shades. They are so pigmented, come in a fantastic range of colours, and are the only blushes that last longer than a couple of hours on me. I wear the shade Exposed literally every day, but after a year and half of constant use, the compact is rapidly approaching the end of its life (I don’t want to talk about it). I wanted to try out a new everyday shade, and have been wanting to pick up the shade Blissful since for a long time.
I was definitely not disappointed. Blissful is a really pretty, brightening pink coral shade, with the staying power of all the Tarte clay blushes. I’m kind of wishing I owned this for the last few months because it’s so summery!
Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Full Coverage Foundation SPF 15 in Ivory
I’ve heard a lot of great things about the Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Full Coverage Foundation. It sounded a lot like my favourite foundation of all time, Laura Mercier Silk Creme, but cheaper and with cooler toned shades, SPF 15, and more natural ingredients.
I got it in the shade Ivory (of course), and while it’s still a match I was hoping it would be a little more cooler toned. Like Silk Creme, the texture is definitely thick and mousse-like, and you only need a little bit of foundation for great coverage, though slightly more than Silk Creme. It is very buildable. Because of the clay ingredient, it is long lasting (though definitely not the 12 hours Tarte claims), and I think is a little bit more natural looking than Silk Creme. I am really liking it so far as a cheaper alternative to Silk Creme!
Stay tuned for Part Two, featuring some Tarte lipsticks!
Happy first day of spring! In celebration, today I wore the perfect spring pink lipstick – Tarte Amazonian Butter Lipstick in Watermelon. The shade Watermelon is a fun, very pigmented, bright pink with a pretty shiny finish. The packaging is adorable and covered in pretty spring-y flowers, but it’s made of cardboard so it isn’t the sturdiest tube ever, and it seems like it would get dirty easily if you tossed it into a bag or something.
The formula is very smooth and creamy and glides on perfectly, and although it contains cupuacu butter, murumuru butter, and shea butter, I don’t find it all that moisturizing. It definitely is not drying though. The colour doesn’t last a long time at all but the tube is so cute and the colour is so pretty I don’t really care!
Inspired by my friend Lisa, here are my 13 favourite/best/most used things of 2013, in no particular order!
1) Real Techniques brushes: I never really used makeup brushes, besides for applying blush and bronzer, before 2013. This year I discovered what a massive difference using good brushes makes in makeup application, especially in applying foundation and eye shadow (yes, I used to use my fingers to apply powder eye shadow). Real Technique brushes are both great quality and value.
2) Maybelline Colour Tattoo 24 Hour Eye Shadow in Bad to the Bronze: I mentioned back in October how much I love this eye shadow, and I’m still wearing it pretty much every day. It’s the perfect bronze-y brown colour, and really does last all day. I wish there were more shades available that I would actually wear, instead of teal and bright purple.
3) Josie Maran Pure Argan Oil: I love using this super moisturizing face oil at night, especially after using a face mask, and went through a few bottles this year. It is definitely expensive, but it feels so nice to use and definitely moisturizes and plumps my skin. This is the only face oil I’ve tried so far, but I do have some samples of other oils I need to try!
4) Klorane Shampoo with Chamomile: I never purposely re-purchased or sought out a shampoo until this one- I love it! I have to try really hard not to use it every time I wash my hair.
5) Revlon Colour Burst Lip Butters: I have these in about 4 or 5 shades, and they are the lipsticks I reach for the most in the morning when getting ready for work. They are easy to apply, moisturizing, and the colour is buildable. Only downside is they are not very long lasting. I definitely recommend these as a drugstore option for lipsticks!
6) Stila Convertible Colour: I don’t own any of these blushes in the individual packaging, but this year I fell in love with both the warm trio (which I received as a birthday present) and the cool trio (which I managed to purchase for only $10!). They are great for a more dewy looking makeup look. Read my full review of the warm trio here.
7) Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray: This combo dry shampoo/hair spray is ridiculously expensive (though the price is lessened dramatically with Birchbox promos and points), but just makes your hair look so fantastic. It adds volume, gets rid of oil, smells amazing, and roughens your hair up just enough to make it look inexplicably cool. Love.
8) Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour: These blushes are amazing. They are very pigmented, come in a ton of shades, and the colour lasts for hours. These are the only blushes I’ve found that give me more than 3 hours of wear. The shade Exposed is the most perfect nude-pink shade you will ever see, and is my go-to blush for pretty much any occasion.
9) Benefit High Beam: I used this sheeny pink-champagne liquid highlighter on my cheekbones (ha) pretty much anytime I went out in 2013. It is the perfect cool-toned highlighter for night, is easy to apply, and is just so pretty. It is a little too shimmery for day time use though.
10) Maybelline Baby Lips in Cherry Me: This is the perfect no-mirror tinted lip balm. I used it almost every day in 2013, and even managed to use up two whole tubes!
11) Candles: Kind of random but this year I got really into burning candles. There’s just something so relaxing and cozy about having a candle burning away next to you! I bought a ton of really pretty Illume candles for more than 50% off at the store I work at, including this Starlight Tin candle in Island Coconut. They don’t have the greatest throw but they are pretty and smell good.
12) Juice Beauty Blemish Clearing Mask: This mask was definitely my favourite and most used of 2013. It contains hydroxy-fruit acids to even skin tone, clay for pore cleansing, and bamboo to soothe skin. It really helps balance my oily skin and make it feel clean, though it is a little drying.
13) Marc Jacobs Daisy: I love this fresh smelling, floral perfume, and the adorable packaging. Plus, it’s named after me- what’s not to love?